DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY : Introduction
Established in 1993
The Department of Botany, started in 1993, is an important part of the Science wing of Haribhai V. Desai College of Arts, Science and Commerce.
The department started with the F.Y. B.Sc. course and introduced the S.Y. B.Sc. course, the following year. The department is well equipped. It also boasts a library with a varied collection of course and reference books. Modern teaching methods are incorporated in the daily teaching such as use of LCD projector, OHP slideshows, PowerPoint presentations etc. Every year the department arranges special workshops for the students to guide them on proper techniques of study, learning and methods of paper solving. These are conducted by experts who provide inputs such as importance of neat and labeled diagrams, time management, sample model answers etc.
The Botany department, now running in its 28th year, is marching ahead keeping pace with the advancement in science and scientific techniques and focusing on complete student development as a whole.
To provide knowledge to the students about various plant groups and their phylogeny.
To make the students aware about the of applications of the plants.
To inculcate the skills in the students related to lab., field & need based studies.
To make the students aware about conservation and sustainable use of plants.
To create foundation for further studies in Plant Science.
To address the socio-economical ethics and challenges related to Botany.
DEPARTMENTAL EXPERTISE AND SERVICES
- Maharashtra Olympiad Movement State Level Nurturance Camp(Resource Person) 23 to 29.4.2015 Muktangan Exploratory, Shivajinagar, Pune.
- Strengths: Well Qualified and Experienced staff, Modern Infrastructure and well Equipped
Lab., Well Established Terrace Botanical Garden, e-Herbarium,
- Opportunities: Competitive Examination Centre in the College Campus viz. MPSC/UPSC.
- Challenges: Bridging advanced and slow learners.
- To submit a research proposal to U.G.C.
- To start short term applied course in Botany.
- To start T.Y.B.Sc. Course.
- To develop e-herbarium.
- To organize Seminar/Webinars/Workshops.