DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY : Introduction
Established in 1993
The department of microbiology was started in the year 1993with the onset of science faculty in the college.
Starting with 22 students as the first batch the department has produced about 600 Microbiology graduates in last 22 years. The department presently has six well qualified staff members, a very well equipped laboratory, non teaching staff and about 95 students spread over first, second and third year of B.Sc. The department has a history of very good results of about 95% students passing with flying colors every year. It has seen great times with students ranking 1st, 2nd and in overall merit in the university. About 70% of the students get admissions for various branches of post graduation. Our students have been well placed in research, academics and other areas.
We continuously arrange workshops and seminars, guest lectures and demonstrations for our students. This has helped them groom into good microbiologists. Quality teaching, good infrastructure and shining results have acquired us good name in students .This is reflected by demand for admissions in large numbers.
We have a strong alumni association who are our asset and a continuous help and support for us. The department has a very good departmental library with all the essential reference books. This has helped the students to inculcate into themselves a habit of referencing. We have to our credit five research projects amounting to a grant more than 8 lakh rupees and publications from staff members in various research journals.
DEPARTMENTAL EXPERTISE AND SERVICES
- Blood Checkup of villagers at NSS camp every year.
- Health check-up of teaching and non-teaching staff of our college every year.
- Potable water analysis.
- Career counseling for students to pursue microbiology as a career.
- Starting add-on courses for Microbiology students like Food Technology.
- Potable Water Analysis etc.
- Community work – Linking Academics to Community.
- Expansion of UG Laboratory.
- Upgradation of Departmental Library.